Spinach, as one type of regularly consumed green vegetable by Chinese, contains abundant beneficial components, such as carotene, vitamins, and cellulose. Chinese Diet Therapy theory suggests that a regular diet of spinach would particularly benefit human eyesight condition and Iron-deficient Anemia (IDA), as well as effects of intestinal peristalsis promotion and constipation prevention. Thus, spinach is judged as one of the most health-beneficial vegetarian dishes’ ingredients on Chinese dining tables.
The two of the most usual cooking methods of spinach lay in stir-frying and cold dressing with sauce, of which a dish of the latter will be introduced, namely Chinese-style Dressed Cold Spinach in Sauce. Dressed cold dishes in sauce function as appetizers in China, taking Chinese-style Dressed Cold Spinach in Sauce as an example, possessing similarity with western vegetable salads, yet with stark contrasts in flavor and dressing to the western ones! This recipe provides a clear vision of the cooking of Chinese-style Dressed Cold Spinach in Sauce, which is simple, handy, and home-cooking friendly.
- 400 gram spinach (≈ 1lb)
- 2 tablespoons of edible oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar (Optional seasoning; Sourness of vinegar may not suit all)
- A little of cooked sesame or peanut
- Wash the spinach and remove its roots.
- Have a pot of water to boil, with a teaspoon of salt to be added into the boiling water, meanwhile, put the spinach into the boiling water for about 20 to 30 seconds before scooping up. The boiling period of spinach is adjustable according to diverse tastes, referring to an extended boiling period for a softer texture, though at the cost of greater nutrition loss.
- The boiled spinach is to be soaked in cold water (or ice water) at this step, which contributes to a bright green color of the spinach. Scoop the spinach up while it’s cooled; at the proper strength, squeeze it to get rid of the excess moisture.
Tip: The spinach can be cut into 5-6cm lengths in case of any difficulties caused by its full extent.
- With edible oil in the wok, in this step, the chopped garlic shall be added into the wok for stir-frying to aromatic and be poured into the spinach. Optionally according to taste, dried chili in accompany with chopped garlic possibly provides a favorable flavor to spicy lovers.
- The seasoning step comes the last, where soy sauce, vinegar, white sugar, and a little bit of salt shall be added and well mixed before serve.
An exquisite food presentation may require a bit more effort for plate organization and ornaments. However, an inviting and appealing display would probably arouse the dining desires of your families and friends!